3.29.2010

Dirrrrr-ect-tivvve?


http://www.the-leaping-lamp.com

A few weekends ago, on a particularly dark and cold, rainy day, my fuse abruptly decided to blow itself out. Without any proper power supplies, and communication devices, (Internet, dead. Mobile, out of battery.) it took me good 3 hours to fully restore the electricity. The weekend following, I innocently decided to dewire myself and took a 2-day trip to 안동 (Andong), a charming folk village located in the northern part of South Korea, all the while wishing to return to the civilization where a modern toilet with bidet function, and high-speed Internet connection were. I would probably rank it as one of the most horrendous episodes of my life after the NYC blackout experience and the infrequent escapade at Heathrow in which I accidentally ran over Iggy Pop's foot with a luggage cart.

In 2010, human has evolved into something close to what E.M. Forster had predicted. As a matter of fact, much of our needs and comforts are already provided by The Machine. Like the citizens of the Axiom in WALL-E, we will soon be mutated into formless, helpless creatures, feeding on soft food and communicating entirely through projection touch-screens.

Readers, you'll have to excuse me for now. It's my lunch time... in a cup! Auf wiedersehen. x

3 comments:

Tina Chen said...

a visit to a tropical island, lazy days on a beach, a good hike through a rain forest or mountain trails will remind us of the infinite beauty of nature, more vast and powerful than our addiction to technology!

Unknown said...

take me to puerto rico where the wild things are!

Tina Chen said...

anytime guapa....anytime!