3.31.2010

Bite me! (or don't)


http://www.greencine.com

When and how do you think people become so interested in vampires? Have zombies and aliens lost their cachet? Although I enjoy my frequent encounters with the latter species through the visual medium, I find them less romantic and fantasy-driven as opposed to the prior. If I were a zombie or alien, I would most likely have someone euthanize me.


My dear readers, this is not my usual blah-blah. I am seriously considering Vampirism as a possible option for my upcoming presentation on fetishism. Although you may wonder its connection with design, TRUST ME - I'm getting there. For now, I would like to start reminiscencing my first ever contact (indirect) with vampires to expand this idea further.


When my sister and I were young, we used to count the day for our ritual Saturday movie nights where we were allowed to stay up after 9 PM to watch various horror flicks. At the age of 8 and 10, we had already learned to say goodbye to Sesame Streets and hello to Kiefer Sutherland in The Lost Boys.

By far the best vampire movie during our childhood was a Hong Kong classic called Mr. Vampire which features a pack of preposterous "hopping" blood-suckers called Jiang Shi. As a kindergartener, playing the Jiang Shi game was one of my favorite procrastination activities. It's basically an evolved version of Tag, where 'Jiang Shi' chases the other kids to 'tag' them while the others try to evade it either by maneuvering a piece of yellow paper or exercising breath-holding skills. A 'tag' makes the tagged player next 'Jiang Shi' and the game continues indefinitely and that's when it usually gets awfully dull.


a 5 min. preview of "Mr. Vampire"

Watch Mr. Vampire in Entertainment | View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

No comments: